City officials continue to urge citizens to take precautionary measures to stop the spread of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic now affecting this country.
Please check our website and our San Benito City Hall Facebook site to stay abreast of the latest news.
The Mayor said the City has taken some preventive measures that are in effect, such as the closure of the computer lab and public classes conducted at the Library.
The City has postponed all festivals and events, on City property, except City Commission meetings. While the meetings will be open to the public, they will also be live-streamed for public viewing at home.
No event permits will be issued, and those which have been issued are expected to be revoked at this time. Private events on non-city property are unaffected, unless the State Governor issues a declaration cancelling all private group events.
Recreational events such as soccer games and practice sessions are postponed or cancelled, as all City ball fields are closed until further notice. Restrooms and concession facilities at Stookey Park, Heavin Park and Resaca Trail, as well as other parks, will be closed starting this evening.
Some of the City’s non-essential facilities, such as the Public Library, Cultural Heritage Museum and Community Building, also remain closed, until further notice.
Residents are encouraged to use the drive-through lane to pay their utility bills in order to minimize contact, but the walk-up windows inside City Hall will remain open.
Essential departments such as water, wastewater, first-responders, police and fire, will continue in full-force to provide needed services for the community.
Mayor Gomez is urging people to stay calm and monitor professional health sources in dealing with this matter. Please see the following links to county, state and federal health department sites for up-to-date information.
Texas Department of State-Health Services
Centers for Disease Control
Cameron County Public Health
The mission of the Public Relations Division of the City of San Benito is to assist in the promotion of city activities and events which contribute to the economic, civic and cultural betterment of the city.
- Prepares/disseminates public information ranging from print, broadcast & web-based outlets
- Maintains a portion of the City of San Benito website and Official City Facebook site.
- Facilitates media relations and promotions
- Produces monthly Calendar of Events and Newsletter
- Acts as liaison between City Manger’s Office and the Veterans’ Advisory Board which produces Memorial Day and Silent March of Veterans, and Veterans Day and March of Veterans
- Assists the development of cultural and recreational programs for the City.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the City Manager.