City Secretary's Office
The City Secretary’s Office operates to serve the citizens of San Benito by assisting, promoting, and enhancing the governmental process of this municipality by:
- Supporting the City Commission and the City Administration in fulfilling their official duties
- Providing public access to municipal records and other information
- Serving as chief officer of municipal elections
- Recording all legislative actions of the City Commission
- Archiving and preserving all government documents of the City.
The City Secretary’s responsibilities include:
- Arranging all City Commission meetings by preparing and posting the records of all proceedings
- Fulfilling Open Records Requests made to the City’s administration department. Download form here.
- Overseeing the records management of City departments
- Acting as the City’s chief election officer for the administration of all City elections in collaboration with Cameron County and in compliance with the requirements of state election laws
- Serving as custodian of the City corporate seal and attesting the Mayor’s signature on all official documents
- Countersigning all commissions issued to municipal officers and all agreements, licenses, and contracts issued by the Mayor or City Manager
- Coordinating the codification of City ordinances into the City’s Code of Ordinances
- Distributing recent annexation information including ordinances, maps, zoning, service plans, and address lists to all entities having associations with the City
- Posting all legal notices required by state law and publishing all legal ads for adopted ordinances and notices of elections
- Certifying TABC alcoholic beverage license applications for businesses within the City and pyrotechnic display permits for events in the City.
The City Secretary is an officer of the City, appointed by the City Manager and approved by City Commission. This is a statutory position required by State Law and the City Charter.
NEW ELECTIONS INFORMATION
Due to the Texas Governor’s Order related to COVID-19, the City of San Benito has issued Order 2020-05, postponing the May 2, 2020 Elections until the November 3, 2020 Uniform Election.
The City of San Benito May 2, 2020 General Election and Special Election was postponed to the November 3, 2020 Uniform Election to elect a Mayor, a Commissioner to Place 1, and a Commissioner to Place 2. The Special Election for a Commissioner, Place 3 will also be conducted at that time.
Important Voter Deadlines
Monday, October 5, 2020: Last day to register to Vote with Cameron County
Friday, October 23, 2020: 5pm Deadline for Cameron County to receive Application for Mail Ballot
Friday, October 30, 2020: Last day of Early Voting
Tuesday, November 3, 2020: ELECTION DAY from 7am to 7pm
Early Voting By Personal Appearance
Will be held at the San Benito Community Building, 210 East Heywood Street, San Benito, Texas on the following dates and times:
October 19 thru 23, 2020 from 9am to 7pm
October 24, 2020 from 8am to 8pm
October 25, 2020 from 9am to 2pm
October 26 thru 28, 2020 from 9am to 7pm
October 29 thru 30, 2020 from 8am to 8pm