- Boards & Commissions
- City Commission
- City Secretary
City Secretary's Office
The City Secretary’s Office operates to serve the citizens of San Benito by assisting, promoting, and enhancing the governmental process of this municipality by:
- Supporting the City Commission and the City Administration in fulfilling their official duties
- Providing public access to municipal records and other information
- Serving as chief officer of municipal elections
- Recording all legislative actions of the City Commission
- Archiving and preserving all government documents of the City.
The City Secretary’s responsibilities include:
- Arranging all City Commission meetings by preparing and posting the records of all proceedings
- Fulfilling Open Records Requests made to the City’s administration department. Download form here.
- Overseeing the records management of City departments
- Acting as the City’s chief election officer for the administration of all City elections in collaboration with Cameron County and in compliance with the requirements of state election laws
- Serving as custodian of the City corporate seal and attesting the Mayor’s signature on all official documents
- Countersigning all commissions issued to municipal officers and all agreements, licenses, and contracts issued by the Mayor or City Manager
- Coordinating the codification of City ordinances into the City’s Code of Ordinances
- Distributing recent annexation information including ordinances, maps, zoning, service plans, and address lists to all entities having associations with the City
- Posting all legal notices required by state law and publishing all legal ads for adopted ordinances and notices of elections
- Certifying TABC alcoholic beverage license applications for businesses within the City and pyrotechnic display permits for events in the City.
The City Secretary is an officer of the City, appointed by the City Manager and approved by City Commission. This is a statutory position required by State Law and the City Charter.
Phone: 956-361-3800 Ext 103
City of San Benito Municipal Building
401 North Sam Houston Boulevard
San Benito, Texas 78586
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
May 6, 2023 General Election Information
The May 6, 2023 General Election will be held to elect a Mayor, a Commissioner to Place 1, and a Commissioner to Place 2.
Candidate Application Packets may be picked up at the City Secretary's Office, 401 North Sam Houston, from 8am to 5pm.
Wednesday, January 18, 2023: First Day to file for a Place on the General Election Ballot.
Friday, February 17, 2023: Last Day to file for a Place on General Election Ballot.
Thursday, April 6, 2023: Last day to register to vote.
Monday, April 24, 2023: First Day of Early Voting by Personal Appearance.
Tuesday, April 25 2023: Last Day to accept Application for Ballot by Mail (Received, not Postmarked)
Tuesday, May 2, 2023: Last Day of Early Voting by Personal Appearance.
Saturday, May 6, 2023: ELECTION DAY from 7am to 7pm
Early Voting By Personal Appearance
Will be held at the:
San Benito Community Building, 210 East Heywood Street, San Benito, Texas 78586
Monday, April 24 to Friday, April 28 from 9am to 6pm
Saturday, April 29 from 9am to 7pm
Monday, May 1 to Tuesday, May 2 from 8am to 8pm
Times subject to change.