Code Enforcement / Property Maintenance Division


Our goal is to have a cleaner and more beautiful city for its residents and those visiting

What Is a Code Compliance Officer

A Code Enforcement Officer is there to ensure all city, state and federal laws and codes are followed, depending on the type of complaint. Many local governments employ officers whose job it is to enforce the regulations. The codes usually cover nuisance concerns and property maintenance. A code enforcement officer is informed about a possible violation through complaints, governmental agencies or by discovering the violation on his own.

Compliance Authority

The code enforcement officer has the authority to enforce the rules and regulations. As described in the city ordinance, they will contact the property owners who are in violation of the codes, inform them of the nature of the violations and what must be done to correct them. The contact is accomplished via telephone calls, mail or personal visits, and the officer is required to

provide written documents that detail the infractions and ways to address them. If the property owner fails to correct the violation, the Code Enforcement officer has the authority to correct the violation by other means, which could include citations, city clean-up and liens.


If you have unsightly junk on your property, a code enforcement officer can order you to remove it. Examples include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Tall, overgrown grass, weeds
  • Debris or garbage that creates a nuisance
  • Brush piles
  • Junked or abandoned vehicles
  • If vehicles are parked on a public street you are to contact the Police Department

Residential trash & brush service with Republic Services are provided to the residents who have established a utility account. To verify if you can be provided these services please contact the Utility Department at 956-361-3804.

Contact Us

  1. Code Enforcement Department

    400 N. Travis St.
    San Benito, TX 78586
    Phone: 956-361-3804, ext. 403
    Fax: 956-361-3810