Purpose: This program will assist eligible City of San Benito residents who have experienced financial hardship resulting directly from the temporary or permanent loss of employment income from the Coronavirus Pandemic. Up to three months maximum of financial emergency assistance will be provided for past due rental/mortgage payments and/or utility payments including water/trash/sewer bills, gas and electric bills.
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Must live in the city limits of San Benito
• Assistance will only be provided for overdue amounts
• Overdue amounts prior to April 1, 2020 are not eligible for assistance
• All households must demonstrate a financial hardship due to loss of income from employment due to Covid-19, and provide documentation that renders the household unable to pay rent, mortgage, or utilities
• Be the primary lease or mortgage holder in a single family home in the city limits
• May only apply for rent, mortgage, or utility assistance related to one primary property
• Total household income must be at or below 80% of the HUD Income Limits
• Rental/Mortgage assistance may not be provided to households currently receiving a federal housing subsidy or living in federally subsidized housing unit/complex or any housing that has a federally insured mortgage. (Including Assisted Housing Programs Administered by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Office of Multifamily Housing Programs, Public Housing, Section 8 - Housing Choice Voucher Program, Multifamily Housing Properties Insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), Multifamily Rental Units Receiving Project Based Rental Assistance, Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Program, Single-Family Housing Mortgage insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA)).
Financial Assistance: The city will conduct an assessment through an application process to determine the exact amount of financial assistance available to each household. The city in its sole discretion will determine eligible expenses and administer assistance directly to the provider/property owner, financial institution for rent or mortgage, and/or utility provider.
COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Allowances
• Rental Assistance will be administered directly to property management on behalf of the applicant up to $1,000 per month, not to exceed three (3) months
• Mortgage Assistance will be administered directly to lender/financial institution on behalf of the applicant up to $1,000 per month, not to exceed three (3) months
• Only mortgages on primary residences are eligible
• Households will be eligible to receive up to three (3) months of rent/mortgage assistance. Assistance will only be provided for overdue amounts
• Residents that have received forbearance from their lender are not eligible to apply
• Up to $500 for utility assistance per household (covers water/trash/sewer, Texas gas service and electrical service) and payment will be made directly to the utility companies
• Assistance may be received for all three types of utility services